Arundel is an elementary school of approximately 450 students located in the San Francisco Bay Area city of San Carlos.
Since it was established in 1949, Arundel has served grades ranging from Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through fifth grade.
During the 2016/17 and 2017/18 school years Arundel transitioned from a TK – 4 school to a TK – 3 school. For the 2018/19 school year Arundel will be focused on early elementary education, serving students in Preschool through 3rd grade (P-3).
4th and 5th grade students enjoy focused upper elementary school curriculum at the new Mariposa School on the Tierra Linda Middle School campus.
Arundel TK to 4th Grade
Arundel is proud to have built a community of highly qualified staff, dedicated parents, and talented, skilled students. In addition to our TK-4 curriculum, which is based on the Common Core, Arundel offers:
- Support services for students: To serve all different types of learners, we offer a number of specialized services including special day class (SDC), resource specialist program (RSP), speech and language, adaptive physical education (APE), occupational therapy (OT), among others. Learn more.
- Music for grades TK-4: In partnership with the SCSD, Music for Minors provides an in-school music education program for all elementary schools that is sequential and in alignment with the California Content Standards for Music.
- Physical Education: Legarza Sports provides physical education programs for all elementary schools in the San Carlos School District. Students participate in PE classes twice a week. Click here to learn more.
- Full Time School Counselor: Meredith Larsen is our full-time school counselor. Mrs. Larsen visits all the classes weekly teaching the Second Step program to students. She also coordinates our Peacemaker program and offers many different services to support our students. Visit her page at Counselor’s Corner.
- Library media center: Our newly updated center features a 30-station computer lab, online research capabilities and library materials for students in all grade levels.
- A skilled and caring team: Our staff strives to provide a productive and nurturing school environment conducive to academic achievement and personal growth for all children.
Arundel is committed to educating the whole child. We provide a rigorous academic program as well as a variety of experiences to enrich every child’s physical, social and emotional development.
Find out more about:
- School Policies and Procedures
- School News and Events
- San Carlos School District Strategic Plan
In the fall of 2017, we are excited to be opening two new San Carlos School District Preschool classrooms at Arundel Elementary School. We offer a developmental, play-based, multi-sensory learning environment, with multi-age groupings for children aged three (by September 2nd) through five years. Our full day classrooms are open from 7:30-5:30, M-F.
The San Carlos School District Preschools are built on the principle that young children learn best through play. In our rich, developmentally appropriate environment, positive self-identities and proactive communication skills develop through hands-on experiences. As children engage in multi-sensory activities they are involved in experiences that build awareness of varied viewpoints. Children are encouraged to explore, invent, and discover ways to create their own unique understanding of the world.
We also value family traditions and family involvement in the ongoing education of young children. We believe in building a strong community through mutual respect, cooperation, understanding, and open communication.
To find out more about the preschool at Arundel, please contact Sue Dawley, Program Director at email@example.com or click here to go to the SCSD website to learn more.
Arundel School Accountability Report Card (SARC)
- May 3, 1948 – PTA established
- April 18, 1949 – Doors opened
- May 1998 – Recognized as a California Distinguished School by the California Department of Education
- December 2000 – Became a charter school
- Miss Wilma Rockman, 1949-77
- Mr. Richard Smith, 1977-82
- Mr. William Hartley, 1982-90
- Dr. Robert Winslow, 1990-97;
- Mrs. Jean Dehner, 1997-2002
- Mrs. Allison Liner, 2002-2007
- Mr. Steven Kaufman, 2007-2011
- Mr. Adam Paulson 2011-2014
- Mr. Ray Dawley 2014-Present
Origin of the Arundel Name
In the County of Sussex, England, there is a castle situated on beautiful grounds overlooking the River Arun. Built at the end of the 11th century by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel, it has been the seat of the Dukes of Norfolk and their ancestors for over 700 years.
(photos courtesy of Nic Kiyasu)